April 22, 2020
Dear Residents and Family Members:
First of all, we at Sea Cliff Assisted Living want to extend our heartfelt thanks to each of you for your support and understanding during this challenging time. Your cooperation is key in allowing our team to focus our efforts on keeping your loved ones safe and comfortable. We are truly all in this together.
We would like to update you on how things are going at Sea Cliff Assisted Living as it relates to COVID-19.
We are happy to report, we continue to have NO residents or staff with a positive diagnosis of COVID-19, or showing signs or symptoms of illness.
I understand that there has been some confusion between our assisted living facility with the skilled nursing facility, Sea Cliff Healthcare Center, that shares our campus. We are aware that the skilled nursing facility has had at least one patient with a positive COVID-19 test finding.
We want you all to be aware of the efforts we have made to prevent any transmission of the virus from the skilled nursing facility to our assisted living facility:
- We have posted signs on the connecting doors to discourage any of our staff or residents from entering the skilled facility.
- We have limited all exits and entrances for our residents, staff and visitors to the assisted living front door. This also allows us to enforce the restricted visitation procedures we have had in place since March 13 and to assess all staff and others that enter our building to be assessed for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and take their temperatures.
- We have ceased all use of the skilled nursing facility’s activities rooms. All activities that we conduct for our residents include CDC and local health department social distancing recommendations. We continue to have no outside activities.
- We do continue to use the Skilled Nursing Facility’s dishwashing equipment to enable us to properly wash larger pots and pans and our dishes. However, our dishwashers wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) while engaged in this activity. They wash all of our dishes separately from the skilled nursing facility dishes and at a designated time away from the skilled nursing facility staff and at temperature levels outlined by food safety protocols. We are using more disposable dishes to further limit any exposure of our residents.
- We have eliminated any shared staff between the skilled nursing facility and the assisted living facility.
- Any resident who moves to the skilled nursing facility for services (or goes off-site to any other medical provider) and returns to our facility will be placed on a 14-day quarantine to be closely observed for and signs or symptoms relating to COVID-19 and prevent their exposure to other residents during this time.
We continue to have the daily call with our sister properties that we spoke about in our late March communication where we share updates from the CDC, CMS, local health department and other experts as well as speak to any PPE, staffing or other supply needs.
We continue our daily observation of residents for signs/symptoms during designated med passes, and taking temperatures that we began back in March. As always, we will notify residents’ primary health care providers and designated family members of any changes in their loved one’s condition, whether potentially related to COVID-19 or not.
We continue to disinfect door knobs, hand rails, keypads…all touchable surfaces.
We have been working hard to check in with our residents during this time to ensure these changes and isolation are not adversely impacting our residents, but please continue to share with us if you or your loved one has feelings of depression, anxiety or uncertainty.
As always, please reach out with questions, concerns, or requests for assistance. We will continue to keep you updated if any big changes occur or as additional information becomes available.
Sea Cliff Assisted Living
18851 Florida St.
Huntington Beach, CA 92648