Restritction Reopen Announcement
June 5, 2020
Dear Residents and Families,
We appreciate your cooperation and support during these unprecedented times. Social distancing and other virus-related restrictions have been difficult for all of us during this pandemic, but it has helped us in our infection control within our community. Sea Cliff currently has no COVID-positive staff or residents.
As some states begin to “reopen,” our family members and residents understandably want to know when community restrictions (e.g., visitation, communal activities, leaving the community) may be lifted. Senior living facilities are some of the most COVID-vulnerable places that exist, and will likely be among the last to “reopen”. As a result:
- Current visitation restrictions will continue. However, we have begun allowing scheduled visits on the front porch with the following restrictions:
- Only 2 visitors at a time;
- Masks and gloves must be worn at all times;
- Visitors must be screened prior to the visit;
- Social distancing must be followed at all times;
- No touching or eating food during visits is permitted; and
- All visits must be scheduled in advance and are limited to 30 minutes.
- Social distancing practices within the facility like no communal dining, no large gatherings of residents, no external trips/activities, etc., will continue; and
- Any residents leave the Sea Cliff campus for treatment at an external healthcare provider or for any other reason will still be required to be quarantined upon his/her return.
We will follow the lead of the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC); and as part of the executive branch, they will likely follow the lead of the Trump administration.
In President Trump’s “Opening Up America Again” plan—which is similar to most state plans—senior care facilities are in the last group of businesses to reopen (Phase III), after sporting venues, movie theaters, etc. States reach Phase III only when they have a downward trajectory of cases and symptoms, along with a robust testing program, and after they have maintained those standards in Phases I and II for at least 14 days each.
In other words, we can expect that restrictions on senior care facilities will be removed only when life is settled into the new normal. In addition, even if the restrictions are mostly lifted, facilities that have had positive cases should expect that their restrictions will continue until several days after the last symptoms of infection has cleared in the facility.
Aspects of screening, quarantining and social distancing will likely be required in all facilities going forward, even after visitation and communal activities resume. Visitation may continue to have certain limitations or requirements until the threat to our residents has been lessened or eliminated. We will continue to monitor the situation and look for ways to safely allow families to see their loved ones and for our residents to enjoy many of the privileges we all enjoyed prior to coronavirus. Just as we diligently planned for implementing restrictions, we are diligently planning on how to safely ease them. Please be assured we are taking these measures to keep our community safe.
As always, please contact me with any questions or concerns.
Sea Cliff Assisted Living
18851 Florida St.
Huntington Beach, CA 92648